Saturday, December 1, 2007

College Basketball, the Madness has begun

I think that sports are just a little special. College sports, however, are freakishly emotional and just a ton special. I'm sort of a fan. Don't get me wrong, I don't know what's going on half the time, but I guess the whole idea of being a student and an athlete really just make me want to cry tears of happiness.

There is just more at stake. Scholarships, futures, bar revenues, team sport apparel manufacturers businesses, etc. So much conflict on the shoulders of boys and girls barely old enough to vote, much less drink.

Today, I went to the Gophers vs. U of California Riverside basketball game and I fell in love with a certain player by the name of Jamal Abu-Shamala. He was like a one-man cyclone of capability and undeniable hooptastic talent. Tubby had him up and down that court for the greater part of the 40 minute match. And eventhough the event was unevenly matched it was fantastic to see someone rise to the challenge and/or burden of winning and thus perpetuating millions of Minnesotans happiness just a day further.

He also perfected the "I've just been fouled" arms above the head butt slide so many ballers perform. You've seen it. Someone very slightly bumps into them and they throw themselves backward onto the floor with their arms above their heads and slide about 2-4 feet on their ass and display a look of innocent bewilderment.

Pro-Athletes I think should always win. If you are getting paid to play, you should win. End of discussion.

No comments: