Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Getting Asked Out

When you are a lady and a gentleman asks you to go out on a date with him romantically, regardless of what actually goes down, it is pretty huge. It involves an invitation, a small amount of bravery, and maybe, hope.

I haven't been asked out on a date since June (and I was so deeply honored and excited and it eventually sucked...big time, but I am sure he is a nice guy but just not for me). But today broke the whole almost 6 month recession when a client at the job took the time to remove the sucker from his mouth to say "Go out with me."

Normally, I would've said "Sure." But not today. I felt very on the spot and kind of told more than asked. And word to the wise, I rarely get told what to do. Today, I said the old stand-by, "I've got a boyfriend." And he replied, "That old guy." And then I got very self-conscious like racking my brain to remember "WHAT OLD GUY?!?!?" I can not remember me and an old guy doing squat in like forever. And then I remembered I work with an old guy and it all made sense. In a way. So I just nodded.

But it is always special to get invited to anything. Recently, I was sent an Evite to attend some holiday soiree and I looked at the Evite no less than about 100 times I am sure of it. And the host called me up and was like "Why do you keep looking at the Evite? Are you monitoring it or something?" And first off FUCK YOU EVITE for putting some sort of notifyer on Evites and secondly NO I was not monitoring anything. I was just so happy to get invited! Period! Getting included makes me happy. I'm a second child. 'nough said.

Which is why I am inviting all of you...(and that probably just includes Shaun which is enough for me...my BFF) to come watch me read a personal, prose essay called "My Brain." It is this Friday, November 30th at the Riverview Wine Bar at 7:30 in Minneapplesauce. The piece is about my brain or what it does actually. I will read it and other writers in the Twin Cities will read stories and essays as well. It is possible I might get drunk, again.

1 comment:

shaun. said...

whoa, whoa , whoa.....i was mentioned, in your blog. Im on top of the world.