Thursday, December 20, 2007

Apparently, If you don't celebrate Christmas You're an Asshole

Educated people sometimes bewilder me even more than uneducated people.

It takes about 20 years of school and rigorous tests of one's cognitive abilities to be your common everyday pharmacist. My father is one, as of late I work with about 20, and I've known a few through the years. I usually like them. They get TMI'ed all day long and it doesn't even phase them...until today...

One pharmacist I work with is clearly Muslim. She is also the best pharmacist, if you ask me. Professional, sweet, patient, knows everything...just what you'd be looking for in a druggist. The only thing she doesn't embark on is the chocolate frenzy all the other pharmacists seem to get off over. And one pahrmacist in particular, needs to be put down.

The Muslim pharmacist was minding her own business when someone brought some awesome fudge into work and started to pass it around. When it got to her she declined it politely. Then she gets asked, by her pharmacist co-worker, "So you wouldn't have a little chocolate to celebrate Christmas with us?" Followed up with, "What are you going to do on Christmas?"

I've never celebrated anything other than Christmas. I have wished that I could've participated in Hanukkah forever (I am a closet Jewish person), but only ever Christmas. I know that there is more...out there, but this time of year has always been about me and Jesus and a little something from JCrew. But to non-celebraters I am sure it is as if it doesn't even exist. Just another day.

But this bitch asked her these questions in all seriousness. And I've been pissed off ever since. Some people need to think.

It's like pengins or The Northface with me. I know they exist. I find them nonessential. I do know that people enjoy them but I can live my life without and be fulfilled. (Let's include butterflies, too) I do not need people creeping up to me with a penguin along or to wear Northface and be eager to point out butterflies and then subsequently my aversion and/or apathy to them. That's just plain rude.

I don't like it when people think out loud.

No comments: