Friday, December 14, 2007

Joy-Riding

Some call it "the long way home" or "crusing along" or as the title mentioned "joy-riding," but I call it therapy.

The kind of therapy that allows one to light up a Camel Light and Lucious, sip a seriously disgusting Vanilla Cap-u-chino, tally up the hours until a Scrubs re-run is on, and make decisions regarding the betterment of your personality. Lately, the long-way home takes me from the outer skirts of SE Minneapolis to and through the West side of St. Paul "home of the St. Paul Saints" and place to get some decent ice cream and then back into Minneapplesauce (southside) through the ghetto and on to the deeper ghetto where I live.

This route saves me about 15 minutes in grid-lock traffic from the hell carved out of push-pin, Dr. Grip pen loving, colored tabs for the manuals and "hey everyboy it's been 15 minutes since the last time we walked the 10 yards to the lunch room to get tea and it took us no less than 48 minutes to do it" splendor but the route makes me traverse about 5 extra miles through warehouse nothingness. It also probably costs me about an extra $42.30 a week in gas but why should I care? It makes me happy and a little more sane.

This position I took was designed for a person to be described as a "workhorse." I was like "I like to work" and "horsies are cute," so why not take the job? huh? It seriously takes me about 2 hours to do what took the previous woman 80. I don't think that I am well-liked there and that is fine. No one has eaten lunch with me and/or recruited me to join them at Chili's after-hours. Totally fine. I lost the contest that is done every other week in which everyone's name gets put in a hat and one name is drawn. That person has to man the phones for the entire organization (200+ people) while everyone else gets to enjoy a company provided lunch. That person also has to provide their own lunch. When my name was drawn (my first week there) imagine a quiet meadow becoming exponentially quieter. My response was "k."

I've never cared less.

People have been shitty to me lately. Let me vent.
1. Person training me in insisted that I do not write in my own manual. Yelled at me about it.
2. Many sales people at Macy's refused to wait on me for some reason. They were "tired."
3. Told my friend a secret on Tuesday night and he loudly repeated it 2 seconds later to the entire table.
4. Big Bowl put an obscene amount of spice into my Kung Pao.
5. Woman at Mall of America who sells lotions in a kiosk told me my nails were "ugly" and "not feminine"
6. Pressure from people to go on a blind-date
7. Church changed up the service time and didn't fucking tell anyone or at least me
8. The good people who keep the time going on the cell phone at Verizon Wireless like to mess with me and race the time on me...especially overnight.
9. My really awesome friend sends me copious text/picture messages. Each cost me $2. My cell-phone bill was outrageous. But what do you say to someone who has had a rough year?
10. JCrew doesn't make size 6's like they used to.

I haven't resorted to crying yet. Strength is special. For now.

But me thinks a nice pair of Frye Harness boots in brown might make for something a lot little special. We'll see.

1 comment:

RLH said...

So the people at Macy's didn't want to wait on me either (it took a woman 20 minutes before she decided she had time to ring me up (and Macy's wonders why they're losing money))...so it's not just you.