Sunday, November 18, 2007

Accurate Concrete Sawing and supporting storylines

This evening I was watching "Pretty Woman" for about the twenty-thousandth time. And I was particularly riveted by a scene involving Lewis Enterprises. An associate calls Edward (Richard Gere) and says that the company he is intending on purchasing and selling off the pieces has secured a "contract to build Navy destroyers," and then Edward says he will "bury that contract in the Senate's appropriations committee."

What is the point of bringing this up?

If you really watch this movie you know it is more than entertaining. It is extrordinarily well written. The supporting storyline appropriately blends in with the main conflict which we all know is; can love transcend the fact that Julia, while beautiful and extremely witty for a whore, was in fact a whore? Literally. She was a whore.

The Lewis Enterprise is on-goings perpetuate the film that we all know and love. And yet we only remember the parts where Julia gets to shop and when they go to the opera and she cries or the part when she gets slapped by George Constanza.

Concrete sawing is something that I never imagined in my lifetime existed. But now that I know it is a profession and someone can be accurate at it if they might need to be a whole world of realization reality has entered my consciousness.

I can recall a man who was delicately sandblasting gum off a city street. Another person polished acid graffiti off a storefront. And still another person powerwashes windows that no one would ever see in from the outside, and another tuck-points, others assemble, create, build, breaks down, cleans, drives, arranges, audits, drafts, bids, polishes, teaches, arrests, collects, calls, and so on and there-fore that I think I have met one of everyone. I guess what I am saying is that what we do, the supporting storyline of our lives, is a little special.

While to some what we do is who they are, and that's cool. It just means that whatever that is IS a LOT special.

Something has touched my life as of late. It is confusion of what life has dealt some people. That what you pursue academically and/or professionally is and will determine who are your friends are, what things you will need to survive, and maybe what you might buy at a grocery store. And maybe that is o.k. But I had a client once that was a mildly autistic trucker. Never would I have chosen for him to be in my life. But I really liked talking to him. Learning about trucking. And I decided that trucking is probably the best industry for functional autistics. If you think about it.

But I digress. I guess I am just saying that there is a lot to learn from a lot of people out there.

Edward learned what his heart truly desired from the hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold, Vivian. And she helped him, coincidentally with his business ventures.

No comments: